Crypho’s primary focus is the confidentiality of your data. Because of the high security focus, logging in requires two-factor authentication and a strong passphrase.
It requires your email address, your passphrase and a time based security code.
You created your passphrase when you signed up. Take special care of your passphrase. It is the basis for your cryptographic keys, and instrumental to the security of the application.
Two-factor authentication code
In addition to the passphrase, you also need a time based security code for Crypho’s two-factor authentication. The two-factor authentication ensures that even if someone gets hold of your passphrase, they still cannot access your account.
In addition to something you know (your passphrase) you also need something you have (usually your phone or your computer).
There are several ways of generating the security code:
- The security code can be generated on your phone from the Crypho mobile app.
- The security code can be generated on your phone from one of many available authenticator apps supporting TOTP, for example Google Authenticator.
- The security code can be sent you your phone as a notification, as long as you have the Crypho app installed and linked. To do this, click the “send code via App” button on the login form.
- The security code can be sent you by SMS/Text message. To do this, click the “send code via SMS” button. An SMS with a six digit security code should arrive in seconds. Enter the six digits in the field and press Log in.
- The security code is also displayed inside the mobile app. Both on the login page (for those that have autologin disabled) and at the very top of the preferences page.
The security code is valid for 60 seconds. If you wait too long, you will have to request a new code.
By checking the checkbox “This is a shared computer. Always ask for security codes” Crypho will require security codes on every login attempt.
If you leave the box unchecked, Crypho will not require a security code for the next two weeks on that computer.
Forgot your passphrase
If you cannot remember your passphrase, click the Lost your passphrase link and follow the instructions.